Shane Richie: 'I was a smug bastard'


Chatting to the press, Shane Richie doesn't blame the media for his past but himself saying he was "too smug". Before EastEnders Shane enjoyed a career in stand-up, children's TV and game shows before it came to an end.



Richie spoke recently to Evening Times"It's a cliché, isn't it? I got the million pound handshake from ITV and I bought into all of it. And half a million for the Daz ads just for looking at strangers' dirty knickers.

"I thought it would last forever. But then I came across as a smug bastard and the papers picked up on this. I don't blame the papers at all for what was written about me."

He also admitted being completely distraught over the negative press he received about joining EastEnders back in 2002.



He said: "When it was announced I was going into EastEnders, one TV critic wrote, 'If there is ever a reason we should not pay our TV licence, this is the one'. "At the time I was distraught. When it went on, it took about three months for attitudes to change. But there's a part of me that understands the attitude. I wasn't seen as an actor. I was seen as being too smug."

He and Jessie Wallace are taking a break from EastEnders before their spin off but have both joined a play as a married couple. Speaking about the play, Richie said: "It's a great chance to work with Jessie. It's the first live thing we've done on stage and we have to do something that is very different from Kat and Alfie."
  

Comments