June Brown has revealed a lot of intimate details regarding her life, from dating a spy to the tragic suicide of her husband, Johnny Garley.
June was born in 1927, she was one of five children. Shockingly, she lost her baby brother at just 15 days old. Tragedy would strike again as her eldest sister Marise, died just two years later aged eight.
At 23 June met and married husband, Johnny Garley. He suffered depression and later took his own life, he gassed himself.
June found him lying on their bed, he had a note in his hand which read:
June my darling love, I went to bed soon after you left and tried so hard to think as you have tried to show me. I am in great fear that all is lost. I love you so very, very dearly and I do hope and pray that you’ll be able to forgive me. All I have, (not much I fear) is yours my darling, please, please try to find some happiness for yourself.
I go with your dear sweet face there in front of me – in my mind’s eye.The world as I look out is very, very lovely and so are you. You’ll find it hard to forgive I know but please – please, I beg it. I love you, I love you, I love you.
All my fondest love for ever and ever, John
Speaking to The Mirror, she reveals that she performed CPR and he began to breathe again. An hour had passed since she discovered his body and she decided to call for an ambulance. Sadly, she explains: "his brain was by then damaged by the gas.”
Suicide was still a crime in 1957 so June told the authorities that it was a gas leak. She says that she remembers Johnny regaining consciousness briefly, but the coroner did not believe her.
She said: "I was talking to him and he opened his eyes and said, ‘Darling, hello’.
“Then his face seemed to tense up and I said, ‘Calm down, it’s all right’, and he slipped back out of consciousness and never regained it. They didn’t believe me.”
June Brown At 90 – A Walford Legend airs on BBC One on February 16.
To read the full interview, visit The Mirror



Comments
Post a Comment