OMG: Here's How Long That Max Storyline Was Meant To Last

Jake Wood: "I was never told where it was going to go"

EastEnders, BBC One

Soaps have always been accused of dragging out storylines, including the current Max Branning revenge story playing out over Christmas.

When he returned last year, it was revealed that Max was back for revenge and the slow-burning storyline kicked off. Now Jake Wood has revealed how long the current storyline was actually meant to last.


Speaking to Digital Spy, Jake Wood said: "Originally I think Sean wanted it to be a three-year story. That was what I was led to believe – which was probably too long, to be fair. But all of the elements were there – Willmott-Brown, Max's revenge and his unraveling, but I was never told where it was going to go.

EastEnders, BBC One

Speaking of bringing the storyline to an end, John Yorke said: "One story in particular was crying out for the epic EastEnders treatment. It was really important we had a big Christmas this year and this leapt out as the obvious one.


"10 years after the epic Max and Stacey affair – one of the all-time great EastEnders Christmases – things have come full circle and we're finally going to end that story once and for all.

"I came up with this idea and I met Simon in a pub to lure him back in. I pitched him the idea and he said 'you don't want to do that, you want to do double that!' and ramped it up."

How much further could they have taken it?

EastEnders airs weeknights on BBC One.


Comments