Dame Barbara Windsor Retires After Diagnosis

Windsor's Husband Scott Mitchell reveals the heartbreaking news to The Sun that Dame Barbara has retired after . . .

Dame Barbara Windsor

It has been revealed that 80 year-old legend Dame Barbara Windsor has retired from public life after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Dame Barbara became famous after appearing in the Carry On films, before reaching a new generation of fans when she played Peggy Mitchell in EastEnders.


Husband Scott Mitchell revealed to The Sun that the actress was diagnosed in 2014, but her memory loss, associated with Alzheimer's, has progressed significantly over the last several weeks.

"Firstly, I hope speaking out will help other families dealing with loved ones who have this cruel disease," he said.

Credit: Stuart Wilson/Getty Images Europe

"Secondly, I want the public to know because they are naturally very drawn to Barb­ara and she loves talking to them. "So rather than me living in fear she might get confused or upset, they'll know that if her behaviour seems strange, it's due to Alzhei­mer's and accept it for what it is."


After a brain scan and lumbar puncture confirmed her Alzheimer's diagnosis, Scott urged the star to make her final appearance as iconic Peggy Mitchell in EastEnders.

"Barbara contacted the executive producer, Dominic Treadwell-Collins, to make the suggestion that Peggy be killed off"

EastEnders, BBC One

"So I went to see him and, without giving the full situation, confided that she was really struggling to learn lines and wouldn't ever be coming back again after this.

"Ironically, I think it's some of the best work she ever did. I was incredibly proud of her." he said.



He continued: "I would like to hope that the press will now show her the same respect she's shown them over the years. She deserves that."

Dame Barbara Windsor played Peggy Mitchell from 1994 - 2016.


Comments