Jean Slater's Heartbreaking Diagnosis (SPOILERS)

New Jean Slater storyline will be treated with "sensitivity, dignity and respect"



It has been revealed that Sean Slater will return to Walford after his mother Jean is diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

Jean will start to experience symptoms of the disease before being diagnosed. The Mirror have reported that EastEnders are working closely with Macmillan Cancer Support.


Gillian Wright who plays Jean Slater said: "an honour and a huge responsibility" to be part of the storyline and tackle an issue that affects thousands of women and their families every year.

“I’m aware of the impact such stories can have. It’s important that we treat the issue of cancer diagnosis and treatment with huge sensitivity, dignity and respect," she said.

BBC

EastEnders producer Kate Oates said: “I hope the story helps awareness of the disease and is supportive to those affected."

“I know an actor of Gillian’s calibre will approach the story with great truth and depth. The Slaters are an amazing ensemble family and this story is a completely fresh subject for them to tackle.


"I know they will do it justice and raise awareness of such an important issue that affects so many people.”

More details to follow.

EastEnders airs weeknights on BBC One.

Comments