EastEnders Legend June Brown Reveals: "I've left EastEnders"

"I went back to do a good story. Alas and alack, when I got back, it had gone up in smoke"

EastEnders Legend June Brown: "I've left EastEnders"


The legend that is June Brown has revealed to devastated fans that she has left EastEnders and "will never go back" - something that has confused soap bosses and fellow cast members.

June has appeared on the soap since it started 35 years ago. Last year the 93 year-old actor revealed she was not signing a year-long contract with the soap, instead she would pop in when a storyline needed her, something that explained Dot's long absences on the show.

Speaking on the Distinct Nostalgia podcast, June said "I've left. I've left for good," she said. "I've sent myself off to Ireland where she'll stay. I've left EastEnders. I did make up a limerick. It's a bit dirty."

EastEnders Legend June Brown: "I've left EastEnders"
BBC

June continued, speaking about her recent return to the soap which see Dot discover that someone tried to steal her money: "I went back to do a good story. Alas and alack, when I got back, it had gone up in smoke. Got a small part, a very small part. "And that ended up as a big wet fart. Alas and alack, I will never go back."

An insider at EastEnders has revealed how co-workers are confused with June's decision: "Everyone is a little baffled by this as June's dressing room and all her contents are still where they have always been, in fact we were under the impression that she is attending a gathering tomorrow (February 21) to mark the 35th anniversary."

EastEnders Legend June Brown: "I've left EastEnders"
BBC

EastEnders have since released this statement: "We never discuss artists' contracts, however as far as EastEnders are concerned the door remains open for June, as it always has if the story arises and if June wishes to take part."

Could we have already seen the last of Dot Branning? We hope not!

EastEnders airs weeknights on BBC One.

Comments