It was reported recently that Dame Barbara Windsor's battle
with Alzheimer's had worsened as close friend Ross Kemp revealed the
EastEnders legend is forgetting who he is.
Barbara's husband Scott Mitchell has revealed he will be forced to face the
one thing he has always feared, putting his wife into a home.
Speaking to Ross Kemp in tonight's ITV documentary, Scott said: "I need
to prepare myself that at some point it may not be sustainable to give her the
kind of care she needs at the house.
"I've had some fairly dark moments since he said that because there's a part
of me that knows that most likely is the truth and that’s what needs to
happen."
Scott continued: "There's another part of me which can't imagine letting
her go. I can't imagine leaving that lady when she talks to me the way she
does and putting her somewhere and her thinking, 'Why has he done this to
me?'"
Speaking how Barbara's condition has worsened, Scott said: "I have seen a
real progression. The thing that has started to happen with her is her speech.
"She can't find the words and you just see that frustration building up within
her. And what I hate is that eventually she gives up and she looks at me and
she just goes (shakes his head). She can't get it.
"The other thing is she has started to have falls more regularly. What will happen is she will get up, say, two or three times in the night because she needs to go to the bathroom. But her legs will give way and I'll find her on the floor."
Ross Kemp: Living with Dementia airs tonight at 7.30pm on ITV.



Comments
Post a Comment