Here's Why Linda and Steve Almost Quit EastEnders

Linda Henry and Steve McFadden reveal why they almost quit EastEnders

Here's Why Linda and Steve Almost Quit EastEnders


EastEnders without Shirley Carter and Phil Mitchell is unthinkable, but Linda Henry and Steve McFadden have revealed they both decided to quit the show at different times. But why?


Steve reveals he had actually quit EastEnders back in 2003, until he returned two years later. But in 2010, after Dame Barbara Windsor decided to leave her iconic role, Steve came to the conclusion that Phil's time was up: "I thought it might be time to move on, with Barbara going. But then I realised that it's a chance to do something different with Phil. The umbilical cord will be cut.



We've had Phil and Grant, then Phil and Peggy, but now he'll be on his own. "I've stayed with the show because they've kept it interesting. Another important factor for me is that I don't have to spend months away from home touring, like some actors do." - he told the Radio Times.


Here's Why Linda and Steve Almost Quit EastEnders
BBC


There was almost a time when fan favourite Shirley Carter was going to leave Walford after actor Linda Henry revealed feeling undervalued on the soap.


After the death of Heather Trott and a rocky romance with Phil Mitchell, the actor revealed she planned on leaving the role in 2013 after her character became underused.



After a chat with executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins, he convinced Linda to stay on the soap promising to give her character more, that's when he introduced Mick and the rest of the Carter clan.


Here's Why Linda and Steve Almost Quit EastEnders
BBC


Speaking to Inside Soap, Linda revealed: "I had a very quiet year and was considering leaving, but I got a call to say Dominic Treadwell-Collins was taking over the show.


"He's so exciting and passionate about EastEnders, and now everything is buzzing. It means a lot that Shirley is going to be a big part of the action."


Thankfully the pair are still on our screens to this day. Hopefully Linda is given a much needed storyline soon for her character soon.


Comments