GUEST ARTICLE
As a gay man, I didn't come out until I was in my mid-twenties, and after a little fun on the scene, I met the man of my dreams. Fast forward 16 years later and we are still together and as happy as ever, but there were regrets.
The current storyline between Ben and Callum kind of mirrors that of my own life. My partner enjoyed his young adult years on the scene and 'playing the field' but I grew up with the understanding that being gay was shameful, and I had more homophobic people in my life than those who would have supported me.
Many people are under the illusion that all gay men have many sexual partners, even when they are in relationships, but that's not the case in my world.
So why did I have regrets? - For me it stemmed from something called retroactive jealousy, it's an unhealthy interest in your partner's sexual and romantic life before they were with you. This needs to be addressed.
I will always wonder what it would have been like. Would I have had more fun in my younger years if I didn't get into a relationship so early? These questions go around my head occasionally but I wouldn't change my current status for the world.
I totally understand why Callum is asking about Ben's sexual history, but if he's not careful it can become an obsession, so as with many things when it comes to relationships, create dialogue with your partner, expressing your feelings will less likely cause problems further down the line.
I have no idea of the direction the writer's are taking this storyline, but it's something I have never seen in a soap before, so I am excited to see if it continues to mirror my life.
If you remember to talk to those you love about any fears you hold, that's usually enough to quash any regrets you hold about a particular issue in your life - The most important outcome is your happiness.
For more information, visit Relate (click here)



Comments
Post a Comment