EastEnders Star on Ben Mitchell Rape Ordeal

Tony Clay talks Ben's upcoming sexual assault storyline, and Ben and Callum's future: "Max and I have got a really lovely chemistry"

EastEnders Star on Ben Mitchell Rape Ordeal

The following article talks about sexual assault. You may find this topic upsetting.

EastEnders actor Max Bowden has headed a number of challenging storylines over the years, and things are about to get a whole lot worse for his character when Ben is subjected to a sexual assault in upcoming scenes.


The actor who plays Ben's long suffering husband, Callum Highway, has spoken out on the upcoming storyline and what it could mean for the couple's future.

Speaking to Digital Spy about the importance of storylines like these, Tony Clay said: "It's so important to keep stories like this prevalent and on people's minds, because it's something that happens more often than people think.

EastEnders Star on Ben Mitchell Rape Ordeal

"I think it's something that, when done well, can be really hard-hitting and thought-provoking and get a conversation going. Ultimately, that's our job. I think that's the job of all shows, really, and for us as actors, it's so important. That's what we sign up to do: to tell important stories.


"I think Max [Bowden] and Aidan [O'Callaghan, who plays Lewis] and everyone involved in this story will really handle certain trust and respect and I think they will do it really brilliantly," Tony added.


"Callum deals with that at some point as well. "

EastEnders Star on Ben Mitchell Rape Ordeal

But what does this mean for Ben and Callum's future? Could this be the end? Tony added: "We were doing some lovely things the other week, and it's just so nice when you've got really beautifully written and well thought out stories, it's such a joy to play.


"As an actor, you just want to tell beautiful stories and great, hard-hitting stories. Max and I have got a really lovely chemistry and a great relationship on and off screen. I consider him as one of my really close pals. We work really well together and I hope that it continues.

EastEnders Star on Ben Mitchell Rape Ordeal

"I love Ben and Callum. I love working with Max and it's something that I definitely want us to continue with going forward. But there's always room for a bit of turmoil as well." he said.

EastEnders airs weeknights on BBC One.

Comments