In November we mark 20 years since Alfie Moon arrived in Albert Square, being mistaken as the relief management by Peggy Mitchell, the grifter went on to run the Vic before meeting Kathleen Slater.
Fans of the character seemed to be annoyed with the most recent direction of Alfie, with the character constantly falling on hard times, instead of being the cheeky chappie we know and love, but that's all about to change.
Shane Richie who plays Alfie, reveals to Digital Spy how Chris put forward the idea of Alfie coming home: "He said, 'Listen, I've got this idea of bringing Alfie back' and I thought, 'Oh really?' But then he sold it to me. He said, 'Listen, we want the old Alfie. Because over the years there's been all very different Alfies and my favourite Alfie is from 2002 to 2005'. And that's the Alfie we've got back."
"I asked what I was going to wear and he said, 'I want the flowery shirts and everything'. I was like, 'Shut up, I'm a bloke in my 50s now!' But then I met up with Tony Jordan, who created the Mitchells, the Moons and the Slaters back in the day.
"Tony turned up in a flowery shirt and leather jacket and boots on, so I was like, 'Oh okay, it's alright for a bloke in his 50s, I'll wear it!'" he said.
"Chris was so instrumental in telling me the long-term storyline with Alfie, and it's the old Alfie. "You know, the guy who looked after his Nana Moon and wore his heart on his sleeve and tries to make light of everything."
Are you looking forward to Alfie's return? - Alfie's arrival airs Monday 12th September on BBC One.
Comments
Post a Comment